Aldo and Van Eyck












"If people turn to look at you on the streets, it means you're not well dressed."- 
famous words by one of my great examples: the late Beau Brummel. Google that shit everybody! Lately I've been thinking about his words a lot. Is it true that we ought to blend in with the crowd, in order to be a real dandy? Is it not gentleman-like to stand out?
Being a refined gentleman (or at least trying to achieve that) is hard labor. I dare not enter the outside world without polished shoes and a coordinated outfit. One might even say every true dandy suffers from a severe case of OCD. Brummel said it is never okay to draw the attention to yourself. I, on the other hand, like to make a spectacle of myself. I always tried to make myself differ from others. Be noticed, stand out. In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different, right? If you want people to like you for who you are, you've got to give them a reason to do so. What is it that makes you the person you are now? Leave an impression, make them remember you.

This behavior sometimes resulted in being the overly loud, silly dressed, strange dude. Was this the way I wanted people to see me? So maybe Beau Brummel was right after all. 
I think the true art of being a dandy lies in being yourself in a modest and interesting manner. (Please make no mistake. There's an immense difference between modest and boring!)
I admire those who believe in being interesting on further inspection. Being noticeable splendid, but on a second take.

That's why I decided to wear my blue trenchcoat in this shoot. I went to the Kroller Muller museum with my dear friend Sophie (credits to her for the photo's). The modern art museum is located in a national park. When I was figuring out what to wear to a place like this, I decided that it had to be refined but not overwelming. The choise was between my three coats: Green (a camouflaging color) Blue (a complimenting color) and Red (a contrasting color).  I choose the blue coat because it differs from the green and grey surroundings without overpowering them. 'Being interesting on further inspection'- I rest my case.
These pictures were taken in the pavilion designed by the Dutch architect Aldo van Eyck. (Funny coincidence don't you think!?) It was a great feeling, absorbing the tranquillity of nature, in combinations with the works of art. The deserted park was immensely quiet but (just like a refined gentleman), far from boring.









hat - second hand
shirt and bow-tie - H&M conscious collection
trenchcoat - H&M
gloves - HEMA
jeans - H&M
shoes - Sascha


Simply Style By Aldo is on: